Friday, May 29, 2009

Have you ever bitten your nails over garden decisions? In addition to the renovation of the vegetable garden I have been working hard in the front yard. I’ve had wildflowers on the brain for a month or two. Last Monday I flame weeded the large bare spots in the front yard, limed them, dug 2 large beds, fertilized the path areas that would be grass, spread a paltry layer of bagged topsoil, spread grass seed, spread a light hay mulch then spread wildflower seed in the 2 large beds. I’m not sure that my attempt to plant what could amount to meadow flowers in the 2 beds will be a successful design. I keep reminding myself that it can all be undone. The seed mix is the "cool tones mix" from Vermont Wildflower Farm and it contains both annuals and perennials. What I’m realizing is that I am trying to cram too many designs into my small front yard. Sigh. Too bad I couldn’t expand my land holdings in a puff of smoke, place the neighbors closer to the horizon.
OK - so I also ordered seed from American Meadows. Some has already been planted in the back garden (wher the neighbors will get the best view. I have their short mix and a BIG bag of all annuals. Tell me how the heck I'll fit all of that in! I could go guerilla and plant it stealthily somehwere else but I think not. Update to come. I do like their customer photos, particularly this one

As for the vegetable garden, I’m getting there. Planted mustard greens, sweet corn, carrots, zucchini and winter squash. The potatoes in the back garden seem to be doing well. The peppers are holding on. We are eating the lettuce from the greenhouse and I have started 2 grow bags with cantaloupe seedlings. That should prove an interesting experiment!
Picture of the "Cool Tones" wildflower seed I ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment